The Convergence LMS offers a REST Api that offers programmatic access to many key functions in the system. This document aims to provide a high-level overview of the capabilities, but not to cover all the technical details of creating and implementing API calls.
Below are brief description and capabilities for the API:
The API can be used to manage any/all parts of the company hierarchy (Regions, Sites, Departments, Teams) as well as Users and Groups. This could allow you to automatically add new hires to the system, and ensure they are on the right Site/Department/Team. Capabilities include:
- Create a User
- Update a user (including active/inactive status)
- Create a group
- Add/remove members from a group
- Create hierarchy “nodes” (Regions, SItes, Departments, Teams)
- Update hierarchy “nodes”
Training Content/Courses (Activities)
The API can be used to manage the training content in your system (which are called Activities). Capabilities include:
- Query for Activities of any type (Document, Video, Quiz, Class, SCORM/AICC, etc)
- Create/upload new training content
The API can be used to get the status of training assignments. Capabilities include:
- Get assignments for a specific user
- Get assignments for a part of the hierarchy
The API can be used to manage completions, which are a record of which User(s) have completed which training content/courses (Activities). Capabilities include:
- Create a completion record
- Update a completion record
- Get completions for a user
- Get completions by date range
The API can be used to manage how Activities are bundled together into Requirements and Qualifications. Capabilities include:
- Get qualifications/requirements
- Create qualifications/requirements
- Update qualifications/requirements
SET UP PROCESS
Planning and Review
- The Convergence point of contact and the client should review the details above and ensure they can all be accomplished, as well as answering any questions that come up.
- The technical details of the API calls will be provided
API User Setup
- Convergence will create a dedicated API User account in the system and provide you with the credentials for that user (username, password, API secret, and API secret key). That user will need to have the desired permissions in the system to access the desired data.
- The technical details of the API calls will be provided.
- The client will have the technical documentation as well as the credentials, so they can start developing and testing API calls.