Creating electives allows an LMS administrator to make activities and qualifications/training programs available to users as optional training.
Electives can be used to:
- Create a reference library for learners to learn more about your organization, industry or other positions within the organization
- Allow learners to “train-up" for their next job
- Make activities available for maintenance / repair / troubleshooting
Note:Qualifications and Training Programs are the same feature in the LMS. Qualification is the term used in the Enterprise LMS. Training Program is the term used in the MSHA LMS.
- be offered to specified users, organization units, or groups. Refer to the Electives: Offer article to learn how to offer electives.
- be organized into Elective Categories to aid the user in locating the desired activity or qualification/training program they wish to enroll in. Refer to the Electives: Elective Categories to learn how to set up elective categories.
- require supervisor approval. Refer to the Electives: Activate Supervisor Approval and Electives: Approve or Deny Elective Requests articles to learn more.
Once completed, the completion status will remain "complete" even if the user later withdraws from the elective or the activity is later assigned to the employee.
ASSIGNMENTS AND ELECTIVES COMPARISON
Assignments and Electives are defined as follows:
Assignment: Activities and qualifications/training programs assigned to users, organization units, or groups that REQUIRE completion by the learner.
Electives: Activities and qualifications/training programs offered to users, organization units or groups that allow users the OPTION to enroll in the activities or qualifications/training programs they choose.
The chart below compares an assignment and an elective: