Article Links Introduction|Step 1: Update Email Addresses | Step 2: Add Request Approval Jobs | Step 3: Update Security Roles | Step 4: Update Notifications| Step 5: Add Supervisor to Organization Unit |
The quiz retry approval feature allows administrators to require supervisor approval when a user exhausts the number of attempts to take a quiz. The user will not be able to re-take the quiz to get a passing score until supervisor approval has been recieved.
Prior to using this option, there is some configuration required so that:
- Users and supervisors will receive the appropriate notifications.
- Jobs have been updated to ensure that notifications will run at their scheduled times.
- Security roles have been updated.
- Notifications have been customized, if desired.
STEP 1: UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESSES
This feature relies heavily on email addresses to notifiy supervisors when they have a request to approve and notify users when their request has been approved or denied.
Please refer to the Users: Create, Edit and Delete article to learn how to edit the user record and update email addresses for any user who requests approval to retake a quiz.
If you need to add significant number of email addresses, complete a spreadsheet that includes a column for Username, First Name, Last Name and Email Address. Complete the spreadsheet and email to email@example.com and request they upload the spreadsheet for you.
STEP 2: ADD REQUEST APPROVAL JOBS
Follow these steps to verify if the Quiz Retry Approval and the Quiz Retry Approval Status jobs are present on the Jobs menu. These jobs perform the following functions:
- Quiz Retry Approval: Runs the job at 2:00 am that sends a notification to the supervisor when one or more users have requested approval to retry taking a quiz.
- Quiz Retry Approval Status: Runs the job at 2:00 am that sends a notification to the any user that has a quiz retry request approved or denied.
Note: The approval will only be sent if the supervisor has not approved the retry request by the time the job is run.
Follow these steps to verify the jobs are listed on the Manage Jobs screen. Add the jobs if they are not present:
- Click the Administration tab
- Click the System link and then the Manage Jobs link on the left navigation bar
- Verify that the Quiz Retry Approval and the Quiz Retry Approval Status jobs appear on the Manage Jobs screen
- If not present, continue with the next step in this process
- Click the New button
- Location: Click the Select button to the right of the Location field
- Look For: Select the desired organization level in the Look for drop down list
- Double click on the name of the organization unit that this job will be set up in.
- You will be returned to the Create Job screen
- Jobs to Create: Click the Select button to the right of the Jobs to Create field
- Select the Quiz Retry Approval and Quiz Retry Approval Status check boxes
- Click the right arrow to add the jobs to the Selected Records table
- Click the Select button to complete your Job Type selection
- Click the Save button
- The Success, New Jobs Created confirmation will appear on the right side of the screen
- Click the Close button
- Move to the next step in this process
STEP 3: UPDATE SECURITY ROLES
Any security role that allows a supervisor to approve quiz retries will need to be updated. At a minimum, the Admin and Master roles will need to be updated.
Follow these steps to update security roles:
- Click the Administration tab.
- Click Security and then Roles from the left menu bar
- Search and locate the desired role to be modified
- Click the Edit button to the left of the desired role
- Click the Administration tab at the tob of the Edit Role screen
- Select the Activities and Approve Quiz Retries from the Menu Permissions menu on the left side of the screen
- Click on the Approve Quiz Retries toggle to turn it to YES
- Click the Save button to save the changes
- The Approve Quiz Retries function will appear when you select Activities from the left Administration menu
- Repeat these steps for every security role that you wish to allow approving quiz retries
STEP 4: UPDATE NOTIFICATIONS
Update notifications to ensure that:
- The Quiz Retry Approval notification Informs the supervisor that one or more users have been locked out of a quiz because they have exhaused the number of quiz attempts set in the quiz properties.
- The Quiz Retry Approval Status Informs the user that their request to retry the quiz has been approved or denied.
Refer to the following articles to activate and modify the Quiz Retry Approval and Quiz Retry Approval Status notifications:
- Notifications: Activate and Deactivate article to learn how to activate, deactivate, and revert notifications
- Notifications: Sample Notifications to view a sample of all notifications and an explanation for how they are used.
STEP 5: ADD SUPERVISOR TO ORGANIZATION UNIT
In order for a supervisor to be able to approve quiz retry requests for their employees, the Supervisor field must be completed on any of the following records:
- Site OR
You may update the field manually by referring to the following articles:
- Regions: Create, Edit and Delete
- Sites: Create, Edit and Delete
- Departments: Create, Edit and Delete
- Teams: Create, Edit and Delete
- Users: Create, Edit and Delete
Or, you can complete a spreadsheet with the Supervisor Name and the organization record you want to update it on. Email the spreadsheet to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will upload the data for you.