Training Programs allow LMS Administrators to bundle multiple associated activities together for assignment. Training Programs can be used as a method to:
- Formally, “certify” or “qualify” employees that need to master a job or skill. Example, Machine Operator 1 or Fork Lift Operator
- Informally, avoid individually assigning multiple related activities where no skill or mastery is required. Example, New Hire Orientation or MS Office training: Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
Training Programs are made up of:
- Subjects: A sub-set of the training that includes related activities.
- Activities: Any training content that has been imported or created within the LMS
A completion record is generated AUTOMATICALLY once the user completes ALL activities included in the training program.
SAMPLE TRAINING PROGRAMS
Training Programs can be set up for MSHA and non MSHA job or task related activities.
|Training Programs||MSHA Training Programs|
TRAINING PROGRAM FEATURES
Training Programs allow you to:
- Bundle” together multiple activities necessary for assignment
- You may have an unlimited number of activities in a subject
- You may have an unlimited number of subjects within an training program
- Activities must be added to subjects; they cannot be added directly to a training program
- Activities are "re-usable" and can be added to multiple subjects
- Note: If re-using activities in multiple subjects, the subject will be marked as complete for ALL subjects once a user completes it in ANY of the subjects that includes that activity. Please refer to the Assign Training: Basic Scheduling and the Assign Training: Advanced Scheduling articles for more details on setting assignments that include training programs with duplicate subjects.
- Subjects are “re-usable” and can be added into multiple training programs
Note: If re-using subjects in multiple training programs, the subject will be marked as complete for ALL training programs once a user completes it in ANY of the training programs that includes that subject. Please refer to the Assign Training: Basic Scheduling and the Assign Training: Advanced Scheduling articles for more details on setting assignments that include training programs with duplicate subjects.
- You can edit subjects and add and remove activities at any time
Note: Adding activities to subjects will reset a user's completion status back to incomplete.
- You can edit training programs and add or remove subjects at any time
Note: Adding subjects to training programs will reset a user's completion status back to incomplete
- Plan changes thoughtfully; multiple changes can make it diffcult to produce accurate completion records
- Notifications can be activiated to alert the user that a subject or training program has changed
The Convergence LMS can help you comply with MSHA Part 46 by creating the following MSHA Training Programs:
- New Miner Training Program*
- Newly Hired Experienced Miner Program
- New Task Training - "Task Specific Name"
- Site-Specific Hazard Awareness
- Annual Refresher Training Program*
* If you purchased Convergence Training's MSHA media package, your LMS will include templates for the New Miner Training Program and the Annual Refresher Training Program with enough content to meet the hours requirement required by MSHA Part 46. You can choose to use these programs, modify them with your own content, OR create your own Training Programs.
You will also be able to:
- Identify the Person Responsible for Health and Safety for your organization
- Identify the Competent Persons for all activities in your MSHA Training Program
- Produce the following MSHA Part 46 compliant reports:
- Certificate of Training
- Training Plan Cover Sheet
- Training Program Report
- Compliance Report
- Mine Information Report
Before you begin setting up your MSHA Training Programs, consider these questions:
- How many MSHA sites do you have in your company?
- Are training programs identicial from work site to work site?
- Are training programs unique for some work sites but identical for other work sites?
- Will you have LMS Administrators at each work site to manage your MSHA training programs?
- Do you have competent persons at each work site; or do your compentent person perform that funcition at mutliple work sites?
BEST PRACTICE: The more you can standardize your MSHA training program for all sites, the less work your training programs will be to maintain in the LMS.
MSHA TRAINING PROGRAM OPTIONS
We offer three options to create and manage your MSHA Training programs. Each option has it's benefits and are designed to give you the flexibility to meet your company's unique training needs AND comply with the MSHA regulation in the most practical way possible.
SET ALL MSHA TRAINNG PROGRAMS LOCATION: REGION
SET ALL MSHA TRAINING PROGRAMS LOCATION:
SET MSHA TRAINING PROGRAMS LOCATIONS AT BOTH:
REGION AND SITE
Use this option when you have:
Using this method allows you to create and manage ONE training program for EACH region.
Use this option when you have:
Using this method requires that you create and manage multiple training programs - ONE for EACH site.
Use this option when you have:
Using this method allows you to:
Create and manage ONE training program for the sites within a region that will use the SAME training program
Create and manage multiple training programs for EACH SITE that requires a unique training program
MSHA TRAINING PROGRAMS BEST PRACTICES
We recommend these best practices:
- Standardize your MSHA Training Programs so that they are the same for every work site for ease of administration
- Avoid Using Option 2 if possible. Creating a unique MSHA Training Program for each work site can become an administrative burden
- Instead of using Option 2; use Option 3; standardize the sites you can so you have fewer trianing programs to manage
- Use the Copy Training Program Feature. To ease the burden of creating a new training program for each Site or Region. This allows you to copy existing Training Programs and save them to a new Region or Site. You can then modify the new training program to meet that organization unit's specific needs, when required. Please refer to the Training Programs: Copy article to learn how to copy a training program to a new location.
- If you purchased Convergence Training's MSHA media package, your LMS will include templates for the New Miner Training Program and the Annual Refresher Training Program with enough content to meet the hours requirement required by MSHA Part 46. You can choose to use these programs, modify them with your own content, OR create your own Training Programs.
MSHA Training Programs takes some initial work and time to set up. Once set up, you reap benefits in the time saved when tracking and reporting on training status.