OSHA Form 301: Injury and Illness Incident Report is the first report that must be completed in the event of a workplace injury or illness.
Generally, an OSHA recordable injury or illness is one that requires medical treatment beyond first aid, causes death, days away from work, restricted work or transfer to another job, or loss of consciousness.
There is no requirement to electronically file or publicly post OSHA Form 301 at this time. All OSHA forms must be retained for five years.
The sample report above includes a color key to indicate the record that data is pulling from to complete the report.
- Yellow: User Record
- Salmon: Injuries Tab of the Incident Report
- Purple: Incident Tab of the Incident Report
- Green: People Tab of the Incident Report
Click Sample OSHA Form 301: Injury and Illness Incident Report to view a completed report with color key.
PRODUCING THE REPORT
In order to produce this report, you must have a security role of Incident Manager Master or Incident Manager Administrator.
Follow these steps to complete and produce the report:
- Click the Administration tab at the top of the screen.
- Click Incident Management, then Incidents on the left menu bar.
- Complete all required entry fields of the Incident Report.
- The OSHA Form 301 will be completed once the following entries are made on the Incident Report:
- Incident Tab: The following entries must include:
- Incident Type: must be Injury or Illness
- Occurred On Date and Time: includes the date and time the accident occurred
- What Happened During the Incident: provide a description of how the incident occurred
- People Tab: The following entries must include:
- What Was the Employee Doing Just Before the Incident Occurred? type a description of what the injured employee was doing before the incident occurred.
- Injuries Tab: Add all the users that were injured in the incident. The following entries must include:
Note: The OSHA Form 301 button will not become active until the fields below are complete:
- Injured Person: Select the injured person.
- Date of Death: Add date of death if applicable.
Note: This field will only display when Fatality is checked as a Severity.
- Severity: Select one or more of the following: Fatality, Lost Workdays, Restricted Workdays and Transfer, Medical Treatment, or First Aid.
- Time Work Began: Add the time the work began.
- What Was the Injury/Illness: Add a description of the injury or illness.
- What Object or Substance Directly Harmed the Employee: add a description of what harmed the employee.
- Treatment Facilities: Complete all the fields in the treatment facility section.
- Body Parts Injured: Include one or more affected body parts.
- OSHA Compliance: Check OSHA Recordable and complete all the fields.
- Save the incident.
- Click the Forms button and select OSHA Form 301 to run the report.
- When OSHA Form 301 screen appears:
- Select the desired user from the drop down list.
- Click the View Form button.
- The form will appear on the screen.
- If data on the form is missing or incomplete:
- Use the color key above to identify which record(s) to edit.
- Edit the record(s) to correct data or add missing data.
- Run the report again.
- Click the Printer Icon at the top of the screen and follow the on screen prompts to print the report.
- Email Report - One Time: Refer to the Reports: Run, Print, Export and Email article to learn how to email the report one-time.
- Email Report - Recurring: Refer to the Reports: Run, Print, Export and Email article to learn how to email the report on a recurring basis.