Before you can submit any incident, you MUST set-up and configure the establishment where the incident occurred.
The Configuration menu allows you to modify the following five configuration types:
- Incident Categories
- Root Causes
- Injuries and Illnesses
- Body Parts
Set-up and configuration of these types:
- Are typically done once and only modified as needed to accommodate an update or change to your policy.
- Each configuration type comes with a small number of default options.
- Affects various pick-lists that will be available when reporting an incident and conducting the incident investigation. Configuration is completed as one of the first steps in setting up your establishments.
- Please refer to the IMS Getting Started Guide to view a checklist that will guide you through the steps of setup of your establishments.
Typically, you would set the Configuration at the Organization level for all establishments in your organization.
Below is a list of recommended best practices when setting up Configuration:
- Set Configuration at the Organization level for all establishments.
- Add, delete, and rename items at any time.
- The IMS will not allow you to delete any items that have been used because it will affect open and completed incident reports.
- Click Show Usage to view the Count column that indicates which incident categories have been used.
- Avoid using “Other” so that incident reporting is as accurate as possible.
- Keep lists short and general for ease of use.
- Please refer to the IMS Data Import: IMS Configuration Spreadsheet article. If you have a large number of changes to any of the configuration types; you can complete the spreadsheet and return to our support team rather than manually enter every change. They can import the spreadsheet and make all your desired changes at one time.