An elective allows the LMS Administrator to make activities and qualifications available to users, units, or groups within your organization, allowing Learners to enroll in the activities they choose. The LMS includes the ability to require supervisor approval when the user enrolls in an elective.
You have two options for activating supervisor approval for electives:
Organization Level: Require approvals at the Organization level. This means that all users in the organization will require approval to enroll in an elective, when an elective has been marked specifically as requiring approval.
Region Level: Require approvals at the Region level. This means that each region administrator can determine if they want to require supervisor approval for electives or not.
Activating Supervisor Approval is completed in four steps:
- Activate Supervisor Approval
- Verify Presence of Request Approval Jobs
- Update Notifications
- Add Supervisor to User Record/Organization Unit
STEP 1: ACTIVATE SUPERVISOR APPROVAL
Follow these steps to activate supervisor approval at the organization level:
Set Organization Unit
Verify that the Organization Selection Menu is set at the desired Organization Level
Note: Activating Supervisor Approval at the organization level means that all users will require approval. Activating Supervisor Approval at the region level means that each region can determine if they want to require supervisor approval for electives or not.
- Click the Administration tab at the top of the screen
- Select the Location button located at the top of the screen to the left of the organization name
- Click the plus sign to the left of the desired organization unit to display other areas of the organization. Keeping clicking plus signs until you reveal the desired organization unit
- Select the desired organization unit or client company name.
Note: if the organization unit or company name is not present, click the Refresh button in the lower right corner of the screen
- Click the Select button
- The Organization Select bar at the top of the screen will display the selected Organization unit.
Activate Supervisor Approval
Follow these steps to activate supervisor approval:
- Click the Administration tab at the top of the screen.
- Click the System menu then Configuration on the left menu
- Scroll down the page to the Training Settings section
- Check the Approval Required for Electives checkbox
- Click the Save button
- Each Region administrator will repeat steps 2-6 to turn on supervisor approval.
- Refer to the Add Request Approval Jobs article below to add the Request Approval Jobs.
- Refer to the Electives: Create, Edit and Unenroll article to learn how to offer electives to your learners.
STEP 2: ADD REQUEST APPROVAL JOBS
Follow these steps to verify if the Request Approval Status and the Requests Pending Approval jobs are present on the Jobs menu. These jobs perform the following functions:
- Request Approval Status: Runs the job at 2:00 am that sends a notification to the any user that has an elective request approved or denied.
- Requests Pending Approval: Runs the job at 2:00 am that sends a notification to the approver when one or more users have requested approval to register for an elective.
Note: The approval will only be sent if the supervisor has not approved the elective by the time the job is run.
Follow these steps to verify the jobs are listed on the Manage Jobs screen. Add the jobs if they are not present:
- Click the System link and then the Manage Jobs link on the left navigation bar
- Verify that the Request Approval Status and the Request Pending Approval jobs appear on the Manage Jobs screen
- If not present, continue with the next step in this process
- Click the New button
- Location: Click the Select button to the right of the Location field
- Look For: Select the desired organization level in the Look for drop down list
- Double click on the name of the organization unit that this job will be set up in.
- You will be returned to the Create Job screen
- Jobs to Create: Click the Select button to the right of the Jobs to Create field
- Select the Request Approval Status and Requests Pending Approval check boxes
- Click the right arrow to add the jobs to the Selected Records table
- Click the Select button to complete your Job Type selection
- Click the Save button
- The Success, New Jobs Created confirmation will appear on the right side of the screen
- Click the Close button
- Move to the next step in this process
STEP 3: UPDATE NOTIFICATIONS
Update notifications to ensure that:
- Supervisors receive the Requests Pending Approval notification informing them a user has requested approval to enroll in an election and
- Users receive the Request Approval Status notification informing them the elective has been approved or denied.
Refer to the following articles:
- Notifications: Activate and Deactivate article to learn how to activate, deactivate, and revert notifications
- Notifications: Sample Notifications to view a sample of all notifications and an explanation for how they are used.
Activate the Requests Penidng Approval and Request Approval Status notifications following the instructions in the links provided above.
STEP 4: ADD SUPERVISOR TO ORGANIZATION UNIT
In order for a supervisor to be able to approve electives for their employees, the Supervisor field must be completed on any of the following records:
- Site OR
You may update the field manually by referring to the following articles:
- Regions: Create, Edit and Delete
- Sites: Create, Edit and Delete
- Departments: Create, Edit and Delete
- Teams: Create, Edit and Delete
- Users: Create, Edit and Delete
Or, you can complete a spreadsheet with the Supervisor Name and the record you want to append it to. Email the spreadsheet to our support team at email@example.com and they will upload the data for you.