The LMS allows you to assign one or more activities or qualifications/training programs to one or more users, organization units or teams.
Note:Qualifications and Training Programs are the same feature in the LMS. Qualification is the term used in the Enterprise LMS. Training Program is the term used in the MSHA LMS.
When training is assigned, the activities are REQUIRED to be completed by a user. Assign training appears on the user's Training tab.
There are two types of assignments:
Basic Scheduling allows the LMS Administrator to create a one-time assignment.
Advanced Scheduling allows the LMS Administrator to setup a recurring assignment and adjust start and due dates for inherited assignments.
- Assign training to the highest organization level. For example, assign training to a site instead of 5 departments within the site.
- Assign training to organization units or groups instead of users. For example, assign training to a team instead of to the individual users who are in that team. As users are added to the organization unit or group, they automatically get the training assigned to that organization unit or group.
- Before you roll out the LMS to your entire organization, assign training a small subset of your organization such as a team or department. This will allow you to:
- Obtain feedback from users on ease of use and monitor questions
- Obtain feedback from administrators on ease of assigning training and running reports
- Determine what steps you might need to take before rolling out to a larger segment of your employee population.
- The best method to set up a recurring assignment is to figure out the Recurring Due Date first and then work backwards to determine the Completion Status Expiration Date. If you know that you want the recurring due date to always be 12/31 of each year, and you want to give your employees 30 days to complete the assignment, the Completion Status Expiration Date will be 12/01 of each year.
- Use the Training Plan Simulator to verify that your Advanced Scheduling assignment is working as you expect it to.
- Use Scheduling Templates to help create recurring assignments. Scheduling Templates will pre-fill the Completion Status Expiration Date and Recurring Due Date fields for you.
ASSIGNMENTS AND ELECTIVES COMPARISON
Assignments and Electives are defined as follows:
Assignment: Activities and qualifications/training programs assigned to users, organization units, or groups that REQUIRE completion by the learner.
Electives: Activities and qualifications/training programs offered to users, organization units or groups that allow users the OPTION to enroll in the activities or qualifications/training programs they choose.
The chart below compares an assignment and an elective:
ASSIGNMENTS: SCHEDULING OPTIONS
There are two scheduling options:
Basic Scheduling: Allows you to assign training and set scheduling dates that include: Start Date, Due Date, and End Date. You can also manage how the LMS handles previous completions. Refer to the Assign Training: Basic Scheduling article for more information on this scheduling option
Advanced Scheduling: Allows you to assign training and set scheduling dates and in addition, provides a method to:
- Set Recurrent Training Dates: For training that is required to be completed semi-annually, annually or on some other schedule.
- Set Options for Inherited Assignments: Adjust dates for learners who receive the assignment at a later date. For example, new hires and transfers from one department to another.
Refer to the Assign Training: Advanced Scheduling article for more information on this scheduling option.
Note: If your basic or advanced scheduling assignment includes a Class, please refer to the Assign Training: Classes article to learn how to assign any training that includes a class.
ASSIGNMENTS: SCHEDULING TOOLS
There are two scheduling tools to assist with using the advanced scheduling feature.
- Scheduling Templates: Allows you to select from a series of pre-configured assignment scheduling dates. Refer to the Assign Training: Scheduling Templates article for more information on this scheduling tool.
- Training Plan Simulation: Allows you to see what an assigned learner’s Training tab (in particular the Due Date and Completion Status) would look like for any future, hypothetical date entered given the schedule you have created. Refer to the Assign Training: Training Plan Simulation article for more information on this scheduling tool.